Saturday, August 24, 2013

Food: Tanjong Pagar Cafes

Okay so I'm kinda being forced by Sarah to churn this post out asap because this little cafe-hopping adventure of ours actually happened approximately two months ago oops. I'm sorry, I'm terrible at sitting my ass down to complete a proper blog post. Anyway, it's been a while since I last picked up my camera, especially since I've got an iPhone 5 now lol. Hence I'm kinda rusty and pictures may not be as pretty :-)

1. Selfish Gene Cafe

The first stop was Selfish Gene Cafe which has been around for quite some time, but I just never had the time to make my way there. I've heard about this cafe from a few of my friends, and they have always seemed to receive positive reviews.

I was looking forward to the highly raved about Breakfast Plate consisting of the usual works - scrambled eggs, english pork sausage, honey baked ham, sauteed mushrooms, toasted brioche etc. However, I was disappointed when I heard that they were sold out for the day; perhaps the lunch crowd had beaten me to it. Hence leaving me no choice but to give the other items on the menu a shot.

Smoked Salmon Sandwich
The Smoked Salmon Sandwich was simple and delicious - something I'd definitely return for. With fatty smoked salmon slices, cream cheese, gherkin and cucumber nestled between two slices of ciabatta bread, it was unpretentious and went well together as a quick lunch fix.

Beef Sandwich
The Beef Sandwich was fancier in taste with the use of dijon mustard that tasted a little too much like wasabi to me (not a fan of wasabi lol). But apart from that, everything else tasted pretty much okay, with the exception of the sundried tomato bread which was heavenly.

Selfish Gene Cafe
40 Craig Road
Singapore 089678
www.selfishgenecafe.com

Opening Hours
Mon, Wed - Sunday: 10am to 6pm
Tues: Closed

2. Group Therapy

After a satisfying lunch, we headed to the next cafe on our list - Group Therapy. Located on the 2nd storey of a reconstructed shophouse along Duxton Road, it is extremely easy to miss. So remember to keep an eye out if you're looking for this cafe ;-)


This beautifully messy counter greets you the moment you walked through the doors, and I feel that the cafe as a whole had quite a cozy feel to it, and I'd definitely bring my friends here next time just to chill out and hang out :-)

Caramel Granny Smith Apple Pie
THIS APPLE PIE WAS AMAZING. I loooooove it. Topped with gooey caramel and granola bits, every bite of this apple pie was orgasmic that left me wanting more. However, Sarah and I both agreed that this would taste better if served warm, as compared to it being served chilled now. Nonetheless, this is one pie that would make it worth coming back for.



Group Therapy
49 Duxton Road
#02-01
Singapore 089513
www.gtcoffee.com

Opening Hours
Tues - Thurs: 11am to 6pm
Fri - Sat: 11am to 11pm
Sun & PH: 9am to 6pm
Mon: Closed

3. Restore Living Cafe

Our third stop, Restore Cafe, was a little bit of a challenge to locate. At first glance, the place looks like a vintage shop selling various furniture, cutlery and secondhand goods. However upon a closer look, we discovered the 'cafe' that was hidden within. What seems like a family owned business, this place is definitely unique and worth a visit to.




Lemon Bundt Cake
By this time, Sarah and I were almost completely stuffed and could barely eat anything else. However, the Lemon Bundt Cake was pretty delightful to our taste buds. With a perfect sponge cake texture with a tinge of lemony zest to it coupled with the sugary sweet glaze on top, it was a perfect combination and definitely left us wanting for more.

Restore Living Cafe
124 Tanjong Pagar Road
Singapore 088533
www.restoreliving.com

Opening Hours
Tue - Fri: 11am to 7pm
Sat & Sun: 11am to 6pm
Mon: Closed


4. SPRMRKT

Our last stop at SPRMRKT was probably my favourite of the day. Located slightly on the outskirts of the CBD area, this wonderfully cozy cafe caught our eye easily with its homely decor style. The unique thing about this cafe is that they sell all the ingredients that are used to prepare the items on their menu! Hence the name 'supermarket'.



Pork & Winter Melon Soup
The Pork & Winter Melon Soup was absolutely delicious and I've been yearning for this bowl of soup ever since. The broth was immensely flavourful as if it had been stewing on the stove a whole day! (either that or a whole lot of MSG went in, but i'm not complaining because it's still yummy :-P) This piping hot bowl of soup with the radish, carrots and winter melon bits is definitely perfect for a rainy day.

Homemade Batter Onion Rings
The Homemade Batter Onion Rings aren't much to rave over. However, I do appreciate that you could still taste bits of the onion itself, rather than it usual mushy bits served in most places. This was literally chop onions > coat in batter > fry onions, thus you might wanna steer clear if you're not a fan of onions.


SPRMRKT
2 McCallum Street
Singapore 069043
www.sprmrkt.com.sg

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri: 8am to 9pm
Saturdays: 9am to 4pm

No comments: