Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Quarter Life Crisis

I’m at that point in my life where I need to seriously consider where to go for uni and what to study in uni, or if I even want to go at all. It’s not that my parents can’t afford it or that I don’t have the grades to make it, but is it really necessary for me in the long term? Will my degree be put to waste if I apply for jobs that look not at education, but at experience? Statistics have shown that nearly half of college grads are working jobs that don’t require a degree, and 40% of graduates from top universities could not find jobs in their chosen field. I have looked up some job openings that I’m interested in as possible career routes and none mentioned anything about education (ok maybe a diploma at minimum, but that's exactly why I chose poly over JC!!!), but instead indicated a mandatory 1-2 years experience in the related field.
In my opinion, degrees are only relevant when applying for your first job, or if you have zero experience in the selected field. They’re the only reference for your first employer because they have nothing else to go on with regards to your capability. But beyond that, what purpose does it really serve? I definitely don't think that spending my parents money studying for something that I don't really care for is going to prepare me well for the working world. Instead, what's important to me is volunteering, community work, internships, apprenticeships that are well and truly going to impart me the 'soft skills' that you may or may be able to pick up in university.
Of course I understand that it’s completely different if you’re pursuing a career in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) or law/medicine or some other academic-heavy field. If that’s the case, I’d say go ahead! Those are hard skills that are not easily attainable and should be worth the $xxk per year that you pay for.
We are a practical society, and we are in a time where grades mean so little compared to real life experiences and skills. Who the hell cares if you have straight As if you lack the basic ability to be a good communicator, to be able to multi-task, to be a pleasant colleague, and a hardworking employee in general? I believe that my generation is one that understands only hard work and determination can bring us success in life, not some flimsy piece of paper tucked away in our cabinets. We may not all be success stories that people will read about, the ones that are able to strive their way to the top without a degree in their hand. But we can definitely be the people who make our own mistakes by choosing what we think is the best for ourselves, and not what society/our parents think is the best for us. Because if things don't work out for me, hey, I'll take full responsibility because it was a choice I made.
My grades do not define how well I’m going to do my job. I've always been a fairly mediocre student when it comes to studying and memorizing nonsense I’ll never need past that one exam i’m going to take. But being hands-on, liaising with people, planning and being task-oriented is where I really excel. And how do you judge those abilities of mine based on the few alphabets and numbers my report card?
Maybe I’m still young and ignorant and don’t know how the world works and the importance of a degree. But one thing I do know, is that I’ll be a lot unhappier stuck studying something I dislike, than slogging my guts out for something I love.

No comments: